January 18, 2024
Advocacy Officer (for NTFP-EP Philippines)
NTFP-EP Philippines is looking for an ADVOCACY OFFICER to join its Mindanao team.
Non-Timber Forest Products – Exchange Programme in the Philippines (NTFP-EP Philippines) is a collaborative network of non-government organizations (NGOs) and peoples organizations working to strengthen, develop, and promote NTFP-based forest management strategies that are sustainable, culturally-appropriate and gender responsive, for future generations. (Click here to learn more)
If interested, apply on or before January 31, 2024 by sending your CV and letter of intent to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The advocacy officer will lead and facilitate the implementation of the tenure and governance program of NTFP-EP Philippines in Northern Mindanao (Bukidnon & Misamis Oriental).
They will work closely with the Mindanao team in ensuring the inclusion of indigenous peoples and local communities in forest governance, strengthening capacities, engaging in lobbying and advocacy campaigns.
Area of Assignment: Mindanao
Reporting Office: Malaybalay, Bukidnon
- At least 2 years experience working with indigenous peoples (IPs) and development work;
- Graduate of Social Science, Environmental Science, and related fields;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work in a multicultural environment, and a team player;
- Good computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office365 programs and online platforms;
- A self-starter and deadline-driven;
- Willing to travel and flexible;
- Knowledge of and interest in issues related to natural resource management and indigenous peoples’ rights are an advantage.
- Conduct activities related to the advocacy component of projects being implemented in Mindanao;
- Ensure that indigenous peoples (IP) groups in Bukidnon and Misamis Oriental are consulted and invited to planning, orientation, and other project-related activities.
- Follow up and assist IP partners in their Certificate of Ancestral Domain Title (CADT) applications;
- Assist partner IP communities in Bukidnon and Misamis Oriental in formulating and implementing their community development plans/community conservation plans/ancestral domain plans, and in working for their inclusion in Comprehensive Land Use Plan/Forest Land Use Plan of their respective municipalities;
- Facilitate capacity building for partner IP communities for REDD-plus, including carbon measurement training and baseline studies, safeguards, and benefit sharing;
- Work on developing a carbon-related project design in Mindanao that includes governance mechanisms and benefit sharing;
- Assist IP partners in their advocacies against destructive / extractive projects in ancestral domains, i.e. mining, palm oil, and other similar issues;
- Conduct information and education campaigns with partner communities to ensure that they are aware of their rights, identify issues and recommendations to resolve them;
- Ensure free and prior informed consent (FPIC) is conducted among partner communities for NTFP-EP Philippines projects;
- Coordinate with relevant government agencies, NGOs, and other stakeholders regarding current projects in Mindanao and other climate change-related activities of NTFP-EP Philippines in the area;
- Coordinate and co-develop with government agencies, relevant and appropriate policies for community-based resource utilization;
- Monitor and advocate for the fast-tracking of IP communities’ permits for select non-timber forest products (NTFPs).
- Coordinate and lead the design and implementation of NTFP policy forums or other related initiatives in Mindanao;
- Analyze and prepare recommendations on relevant policies, and solicit insights from legal and advocacy organizations;
- Assist in the conduct of resource management and cultural activities, including the establishment of indigenous community conserved territories and areas (ICCAs);
- Represent NTFP-EP Philippines in related advocacy and campaign activities in Mindanao;
- Prepare and submit quarterly work plans, updates, and consult and finalize the same with partner groups;
- Provide support during visits of consultants, researchers, partners, and NTFP-EP staff to partner community areas;
- Conduct other activities as assigned by the Mindanao Landscape/Area Coordinator and the Executive Director.
This is a project-based role, with a six-month probationary period. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
NTFP-EP is an equal opportunity employer and values the diverse backgrounds of all its applicants. It follows the principles of honesty, trust and respect. It does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, such as cases involving gender, race, color, age, religion, citizenship, disabilities, sexual orientation, senior citizen status, or any other protected status. This policy follows all applicable laws governing non-discrimination in employment in the Philippines and/or in the CLMV country where the employee or applicant is based.